APPLY NOW FOR THE FRIENDS OF THE CRANFORD PUBLIC LIBRARY GERARD PARADISO SCHOLARSHIP
This $1,000 scholarship is offered for graduate study in the area of library and information science or media specialist. The award may be used for tuition, books or other educational expenses. The deadline to apply is May 1, 2023. All applications must be received by the deadline date. An applicant may receive the award only once. This program is open to residents of Cranford and employees of the Cranford Public Library only.
REGISTER FOR OUR APRIL USED BOOK SALE: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/used-book-sale-tickets-523814101077
All are welcome to register for the Friends of the Cranford Public Library Used Book Sale, taking place from Thursday, April 20 2023 through Saturday, April 22, 2023. Registration is required - click the link above to register and learn more about the sale.
The Friends of the Cranford Public Library, is a totally volunteer organization, established in 1979, & was organized to:
- Support and cooperate with the Library in developing services, programs and facilities for the community
- Maintain an association of people interested in Libraries
- Focus attention on both the value and the needs of the Library
- Stimulate use of the Library's resources and services
- Encourage and receive donations, gifts, endowments and bequests to the Library
- Foster literacy and a love of reading throughout the community
- Support Librarianship as a professional career choice through the Gerald Paradisio Scholarship
Membership in the Friends is open to all interested adults and youth. Annual memberships are accepted throughout the year, but our Membership Drive begins in January. A one-year membership is only $10.00 per individual & $15.00 per family ($5.00 for senior citizens and students)! Become a member and receive a free subscription to The Reader, the bi-monthly newsletter of the Cranford Public Library and the Friends of the Cranford Public Library. Membership application forms are available at the Library's main desk or through the online application. The Friends Board generally meets in the Library on the third Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM, from Sept through June. Members of the Friends & the Public are welcome to attend these meetings. Please call the Library to confirm the meeting date, as it can sometimes change. Become our newest Member!
Since 1979, the Friends have contributed more than $300,000 to this Library. The Friends sponsor a variety of special events for all ages throughout the year, including:
- Reading Programs & Book Clubs for Children, Teens & Adults
- Book Club Kits for Personal Clubs
- Free Museum Passes to a variety of area Museums
- 5 Quality Used Book Sales per year
- International Film Series (monthly)
- Live Musical Performances of vetted artists & various genres
- Lectures, Discussions, & Interactive Events
- Grab & Go Craft DIY packages and Adult Craft Programs
The Friends have supplemented the Library’s budget for special projects, including furniture & bookcases, & The Great Courses DVD Series, as well, by using membership dues, gifts and book sale proceeds.
Another great way to support the Friends and, thus, the Cranford Public Library, is to patronize the Friends' Quality Used Book Sales. Inventory includes more than 10,000 adult and children’s books, CDs, DVDs, and recorded books, most priced between $.25 and $2.00. CD’s & Books are divided into categories, & most Adult books are alphabetized by the Author. The sales are held in the Friendly Book Cellar (otherwise known as the Library basement), usually in January, April, June, August, and October. (Click here to see the Cranford Public Library calendar, which includes book sale dates and programs sponsored by the Friends.)
We also maintain 2 bookcases in the Lobby of the Library where we will sell very current, premier editions, or very interesting, unique or trending books at a slightly higher price, but nothing even close to retail ! These sales are ongoing & the inventory is updated every 2-3 weeks, so be sure to visit often.
The Friends also donate many books to various worthy causes. Click here for an article about these efforts.
And last, but not least, be sure to donate YOUR used Books, CD’s, & DVD’s at the Cranford Library’s front desk, & the Friends volunteers will do the rest!
Click here for an online application.