Friends of the Cranford Public Library
CLICK HERE TO APPLY ONLINE FOR THE 2021 GERARD PARADISO SCHOLARSHIP
(Access to Google Drive is required)
The Friends of the Cranford Public Library, established in 1979, was organized to:
- support and cooperate with the library in developing services, programs and facilities for the community
- maintain an association of people interested in libraries
- focus attention on both the value and the needs of the library
- stimulate use of the library's resources and services
- encourage and receive gifts, endowments and bequests to the library
- foster literacy and a love of reading throughout the community
- support librarianship as a professional career choice
Membership in the Friends is open to all interested adults and youth. Annual memberships are accepted throughout the year. Except for June, July, and August, the Friends Board generally meets in the library on the second Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. Members of the public are welcome to attend these meetings. Please call the library to confirm the meeting date, as it is sometimes changes. Become a member and receive a free subscription to The Reader, the bi-monthly newsletter of the Cranford Public Library and the Friends of the Cranford Public Library. Membership application forms are available at the library's main desk or you can fill out the online application. A one-year membership is only $10.00 ($5.00 for senior citizens and students)! Since 1979, the Friends have contributed more than $200,000 to the library, including $50,000 for public furniture during the library expansion and renovation, which was completed in 2002. The Friends sponsor a variety of special events for all ages throughout the year, including:
- the children's summer reading program
- the young adult summer reading program
- the adult summer reading program
- summer performances by the Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey's Next Stage Ensemble
- quarterly used book sales
- an international film series (monthly)
- a documentary film series (bi-monthly)
- a classic film series (weekly)
Since their inception, the Friends have supplemented the library budget for special needs by using membership dues, gifts and book sale proceeds. In addition to the programs listed above, here are some recent examples of how the Friends have benefited the library and the community it serves: string trio performance jazz trio performance harpist Merynda Adams appearance by legendary DJ Pete Fornatale appearance by the Bloomfield Mandolin Orchestra appearance by acclaimed singer/songwriter Greg Trooper four lounge chairs and two occasional tables for the library reading room two display cabinets outdoor book return display shelving for children's books picnic table Great Courses dvd series Modern Scholar cd series electronic display system two compact disc display cases annual graduate level library studies scholarship annual remedial reading scholarship for a program administered by the Cranford Board of Education. Click here for an online application.
Another great way to support the Friends and, thus, the Cranford Public Library, is to patronize the Friends' used book sales. Inventory includes more than 10,000 adult and children’s books, CDs, DVDs, and recorded books, most priced between $.25 and $2.00. The sales are held in the Friendly Book Cellar (otherwise known as the Library basement), usually in January, March, June, August, and October. Click here to see the Cranford Public Library calendar, which includes book sale dates and programs sponsored by the Friends.
The Friends also donate many books to various worthy causes. Click here for an article about these efforts.